* New Bait & Tackle shop in Sterling - FISHEADS -
behind Fineline Body Art at corner 3rd and Ave G
Owner Shannon says he has live bait and frozen for the Catfish anglers and more.
He also builds the SS Custom Fishing Rods (can find on FB) along with good supply of tackle.
If you are headed to the Rock River for some fishing, stop by FISHEADS or call 815-564-0406
-- If anyone goes here, let me know what you think..
- Three New Laws go into effect Jan. 1, 2015 to help Improve Safety and Education in Illinois´ Waterways
making outdoor recreation safe and enjoyable for everyone.
The three new laws expand boating safety education,
improve safety and awareness of water skiers and tubers
and increase penalties for those who operate watercraft under the influence.
Senate Bill 3434 allows for the seizure of a watercraft used in the commission
of certain offenses related to operating under the influence.
The new rules bring penalties for boating under the influence more in line
with those for operating a motor vehicle while impaired by drugs or alcohol.
Senate Bill 3433 requires all persons born after Jan. 1, 1998 to take
and pass a boating safety course validated by the Illinois Department of Natural Resources
and hold a valid boating safety certificate before they can operate
a motorboat with an engine over 10 horsepower.
Senate Bill 2731, which mandates that the operator of any watercraft that is towing a person,
such as a water skier or tuber, must display a bright orange flag
measuring not less than 12 inches per side. The flag must be displayed from the time
the person to be towed leaves the boat until that person returns to the boat
at the conclusion of the activity.
So far in 2014, there have been 16 reported boating fatalities on Illinois waterways.
Increased boating safety education and responsible boating practices may have prevented
many of these fatalities.
* One big thing to remember is no matter how bad the fishing may be for us anglers, those Bait Shop owners have tried to keep fresh baits for us all.
Please make sure to stop by those local (family run) bait shops for your bait, supplies and for current reports.
This will help to assure they make enough to stay in business and will be there for all us anglers when we need bait.
- Check our sponsors on the right for your baits, tackle, guide options and more.
Visit their website links on the right.. ----------------> >
- ILLINOIS RIVER
- - Near STARVED ROCK and South downstream :
- The river seems a little low
- Catfish were FAIR-GOOD on cut baits and dip baits near creeks and along channel edge
- White Bass were SLOW on bladebaits and jigs near creeks and along flats
* * The IDNR Closure Notice report states, as of Aug. 14th : Starved Rock State Park boat launch remain closed due to storm damage.
- LOCAL PONDS & STRIP MINE LAKES -
- Bass were FAIR along weed edges on plastics, crankbaits or topwater baits early and some scum frogs at those ponds or lakes covered with moss.
- Bluegills were FAIR on waxies along weed edge..
- Catfish were FAIR-GOOD on dip baits in evenings
- NORFORK LAKE in Arkansas
For current reports or to set up an Awesome fishing trip (we highly recommend),
check Tom Reynolds of STR Outfitters at www.stroutfitters.com
- Here is latest Report from Tom :
" Norfork Lake is dropping but still in the normal pool range for the summer. The water temperature is in the low 80s.
The water visibility is stained.
The stripers & hybrids are still feeding on crawdads & shad. The striper bite continues to be very early before 5am,
the stripers are in 40 foot of water on the flats near the dam and mouths of creeks. Stripers are schooling near the dam area.
At first light the stripers are moving deeper. Look for them in 40 to 100 foot of water at the 40 foot level.
Live shad is still the most effective method to catch a striper, but stripers are being caught trolling using swim baits, umbrella and Alabama rigs.
If you find a school of stripers drop a spoon, they will hit it if correctly presented to them. The stripers are starting to hit this years hatch of young gizzard shad,
they are about 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 inch. I now divide my poles with both sizes of shad. Sunday morning I sat next to some friends and watched them limit out using small shad.
One boat caught 20 & 30 pound striper and the other a 20 pound striper so don´t be afraid to use small baits.
I have still started fishing at 4:45 am each morning. We have many bites before light but the catching is more difficult.
The bite most often is a small hit and just a pull down. I continue to fish various spots close to the dam. Point 1, Barron, Dam Cove, Koso ( Front & Back), Thumb Point, & the Backbone.
I took Harry Tater out and he had his limit before 7 am, it was a fast bite with lots of action. The method is down lines, 2 oz sinker, with 6 foot leader counted down to depth of the stripers.
Walleyes are beginning to bite on spoons and bottom bouncers with nightcrawlers in 30 to 50 foot of water near the dam on the slopping flats.
-- Also check out Tom´s Blog for Summer Striper Tactics on June 27th post.
BANNER MARSH - 3 access points on Routes 24/9 3 mi. NE of Banner, with a 25HP limit. (309-647-9184)
- Bass were FAIR on plastics, swimbaits (flukes) and crankbaits along weed edges and/or timber with some on topwater on weeds.
- Bluegills were FAIR with small fish on waxies and crickets.
DAWSON LAKE - East of Bloomington Exit #149 on I-74, North through LeRoy 4-miles on CH21 then East at Moraine View State Park sign.
- Bass were FAIR on plastics and spinnerbaits along outer weed edge.
- Bluegills were just FAIR but small on wax worms and red worms along weed edge and near docks
- Crappie were little SLOW with many small fish on minnows in 10 - 14 foot water or some on trolled small crankbaits.
- Catfish were FAIR-GOOD on dip baits, liver and crawlers along outer deep edges of weeds.
DOUBLE T STATE FISH and WILDLIFE AREA (3 miles northwest of Canton)
- From State Route 78 in Canton, turn West on Vine Street (County Hwy. 21)
go 3 miles turn right following County Hwy. 21 for 1-mile to cross-road (Cypress Rd.) and turn left (west), Lake is approx. 3/4 mile on right.
- Chris caught coule 2 1/2 pound Bass
on a yamamoto black and blue worm
but he says a couple 5 pounder like this one
came on a Zoom pink fluke over weekend.
Bass were all in 12 foot water or less.
EMIQUON PRESERVE - Between Havana and Dickson Mounds Museum on IL Route 78
For more info and details on Emiquon, go to http://experienceemiquon.com
- No New Report for here
Mike Conlin (Retired-Illinois DNR Fisheries Chief) has started an online petition to
"Stop The Proposed Project Endangering Emiquon Preserve".
Mike urges us all to read and signing the petition. It is very easy to do..
.. just Click on this Link
to view the petition and sign on to support this effort.
* New permits are required for boating and fishing each year - are free and
available at Dickson Mounds Museum, 10956 N Dickson Mounds Rd, Lewistown, IL from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Call The Nature Conservancy at (309) 547-2730.
- -Some of the site rules are: - No live bait except worms; - No bank fishing is allowed;
- No gas motors (not even on the boat) including ice augers.
- Minors must be accompanied by an adult 18 years of age or older and authorized by the minor´s parent or legal guardian.
- Boating and fishing are permitted between sunrise and sunset with additional restrictions applying
during waterfowl hunting season when fishing is allowed only between Noon and sunset.
- * NO boating, fishing or ice skating access before 12:00 pm during waterfowl hunting season & be aware that hunting might occur on the Preserve other times as well.
- - Check their site for updated rules or go to Official Site RULES file.
EVERGREEN LAKE - North of Bloomington to Exit #8 on I-39, and West just over 1-mile and turn left (south) at sign.
* This Lake has BOATING FEES and Evergreen Lake remains a 10 hp (or less) lake.
- Bass are FAIR on plastics, flukes and crankbaits along weed edges and on timbered points
- Bluegills remain FAIR but small on waxies and crickets.
- Catfish were FAIR-GOOD but Slowed past couple days on cut baits, liver and dip baits
- Crappie were SLOW and scattered out deeper.
- Saugeye were SLOW
* The Bait Shop & Boat Rental are Open 7 days/week from 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
For detail check http://www.mcleancountyil.gov/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=157
HEIDECKE LAKE -
-- Lake Hours are daily until sunset; launch opens at 6am, shore-fishing at 6:30am.
- Bass were SLOW-FAIR on over weekend
- Catfish are FAIR on cut baits and dip baits with shore angler catching fish too.
- Crappie were little SLOW with a few caught on jig/minnow in 10-14 foot water
- Report of a few small Hybrids caught over weekend
- Walleye were little SLOW
LAKE BLOOMINGTON - North of Bloomington to Exit #8 on I-39, and East for 3 1/2-miles.
---This Lake does have a BOATING FEE and a 40hp limit and permit required.
- Bass are FAIR along weed edges or deeper laydowns on plastics, swimbaits and crankbaits
- Bluegills were FAIR-SLOW and small on waxies and crickets near weed edge, docks and sea walls
- Catfish were FAIR-GOOD over weekend on cut baits, liver and Hoss´s Hawg Bait
- Crappie are little SLOW and small on jigs and/or minnows around deeper brush and timber.
- Hybrid Striper were SLOW
We have had anglers Give shout outs to Mike´s Minnow Bucket again this year for ´Premium´ minnows.
Great bait, even better than last year, nice new sign too.
Note: Don´t worry if the garage doors are down, he´s just trying to keep the morning sun off the bait tanks.
*- For Bait if you come to lake from the north, stop by Mike´s Minnow Bucket 2.7 miles west of I-39 from El Paso on US 24.
Hours are opening at 3:00pm Mon - Thur and All Day Fri, Sat & Sun. with A Great supply of Good minnow, worms and more.
This is also where you can get Hoss´s Hawg Bait, call Mike at 309-303-2375 and he will be there for you..
LAKE EUREKA - This Lake is only 30 acres,
and is a good place for the family and kids, a lake where the whole shore line can be fished, there is a boat ramp
and ONLY trolling motor use is allowed and if boat has a Motor on it, you must have a City Motor Permit
but still May Not start it for any reason.! (Remember - No Minnows fishing Allowed)
- most fishing reports were - SLOW
for Lake Eureka
* Mike´s Minnow Bucket 2.7 miles west of I-39 from El Paso on US 24.
Hours are opening at 3:00pm Mon - Thur and All Day Fri, Sat & Sun.
A Great supply of Good minnow, worms and more.
This is also where you can get Hoss´s Hawg Bait, call Mike at 309-303-2375 and he will be there for you..
LAKE SHELBYVILLE - Between Shelbyville and Sullivan -
LAKE INFO LINE (217) 774-2020 and LAKE PROJECT OFFICE (217) 774-3951.
*On June 5th the IDNR stocked 255,978 sauger into Lake Shelbyville from the nursery pond adjacent
to the lake. It is hoped that a self-sustaining sauger fishery can be created for this lake.
And some 111,000 walleye fingerlings were also stocked by DNR hatcheries in May.
- Here is report from Guide Steve Welch for Aug 18 - 24th: "
The fishing has been pretty stable with the sunny days really being good.
The lake is right at summer pool so the Corp quit dropping it. The
water temps are running about 76 which is very cool for August.
We are still using a slip bobber and minnow set at the same depth as the
structure of a down tree. We are targeting about fifteen-foot deep mid
lake to south end. This will be the same pattern for several more weeks.
We are catching Crappie, largemouth Bass and White bass in these same trees.
The white bass are showing up all over the lake on the bank on cloudy
days and on drops on sunny days. Hard to stay with but once you find
them you can get a bunch. Cloudy days we are throwing twisters and blade baits.
Sunny days we are using Candy stripers and jigging spoons and
fishing both vertically right on ledges. My Deep Ledge Jigs are also working fishing the same way.
- Doug and Debra along with Ed Blunier (not pictured)
caught this four person
60-fish limit on 8/14/14
McMASTER LAKE at - SNAKEDEN HOLLOW - - NW of Peoria, just 1 1/2 miles East of Victoria South off IL Route 167,
there is a 10HP limit. 309-879-2607
** The Depot Bait and Tackle Store in Victoria, 2 blocks south of U.S. 167 on Union St. has live bait & tackle
open from an just before sunrise till 7 - 8pm, 7 days a week!!
Stop in and tell Duane & Becky we said HI, or give them a call at 309-879-2401
- Jack tells us Bass were FAIR and many small fish in evenings mostly on plastics but not all colors, fished along weed edges
or just in weed edge
- Bluegills are FAIR in most lakes on crickets and wax worms along weed edges and weed pockets
- Catfish were FAIR on cut baits, dip baits and crawlers with evenings best
- Crappie were little SLOW this week around deep brush
- Walleye were SLOW
-- Check with them at The Depot Bait and Tackle Store in Victoria for Bait & current reports
and info on Fishing in the area as well as the new lakes.
REND LAKE -
- Bass were FAIR-GOOD before this hot weather on plastics, jigs and spinners near cover with a few caught by those fishing minnows too.
- Bluegills are FAIR with several small fish on wax worms, red worms and crickets along shoreline cover and rocks.
- Catfish are Fairly GOOD on dip bait (Hoss´s Hawg Bait), leeches and crawlers (if moving water, the sub-dams are Good), along channel bends and off flats.
- Crappie were FAIR but were little better over weekend on jigs and/or minnow and a few on jigs out around the deeper brush or along main lake breaks.
- Check with Todd Gessner Outdoors Guide Service on Rend Lake at 618-513-0520 for future fishing trips
and make sure to look into a stay at the new Gun Creek Fin, Fur & Feathers Sportsmens Club and they have a bait shop too..
* Gun Creek Bait & Tackle were You can get your jar or bucket of Hoss´s Hawg Bait...!
- - Here is this week's Fishing Report from US Army Corps -
Please fish safely! Always wear your life jacket on the water! Rend Lake Project Office/Visitor Center at 618-724-2493
|The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers at Rend Lake has partnered with the Rend Lake Lunker Busters
and Mt. Vernon Winnelson Company, to provide collection stations for recycling monofilament fishing line.
Monofilament fishing line can be damaging to our environment and harmful to wildlife and visitors
when not disposed of properly. Each year hundreds of animals are entangled in discarded fishing line.
In addition, the improperly discarded fishing line causes damage to boat motors and can even entangle swimmers
The recycling containers for monofilament line are provided at various locations around Rend Lake at many boat ramps.
While at the lake, visitors are asked to place all used fishing line in the newly placed recycle containers but please do not place cans, bottles,
or other trash in these special fishing line recycling bins. All used line that is collected will be sent to a manufacturer in Iowa where it will be made into fish habitat structures.
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers encourages all visitors to pitch in to make Rend Lake a safer
and more beautiful place to recreate.
For more info feel free to contact the Rend Lake Project Office at 11981 Rend City Road, Benton, IL 62812
or by phone at 618-724-2493.
SHABBONA LAKE -
- - This Lake has a 10-horsepower limit.
- - - Park hours April thru October 6:00 AM – 10:00 PM
- Bass were FAIR on plastics along weed edges or in weeds.
- Bluegills were FAIR-GOOD.
- Catfish are FAIR-GOOD on dip bait and liver.
- Crappie were SLOW-FAIR on minnows over cribs and brush with several small fish caught.
- Hybrid Stripers were little SLOW with a 24 inch, 6 pounder caught over weekend
- Muskie were FAIR-SLOW with a 42 incher caught over weekend with fish caught in no-motor zone on bucktails
- Walleye were FAIR with a 25 incher caught over weekend on deep running crankbait in the deep trees.
on leeches and crawlers along or on flats.
SPRING LAKE (South & North) - Just south of Pekin off Manito Blacktop, 5 miles northwest of Manito,
and there is a 25HP limit. (309-968-7135)
- - No New Report -
- Received email from angler who says "Saturday (16th) was fishing the south end of Spring Lake and witnessed a large fish kill.
I believe this may be due to weed control on the lake. The hundreds of fish I saw were crappies ranging 9 - 10 inch. "
Stop by Larry´s Restaurant & Family Bar at south end for their Awesome homemade tenderloins along with current reports.
-- Check with J & R Riverside Bait & Tackle in Pekin on your way for bait and latest reports.
- - - - SOME ILLINOIS POWER PLANT LAKES - - - -
CLINTON LAKE - Three miles east of Clinton off Route 10 or 54 Ph 217/935-8722.
A PORTION OF LAKE FROM ABOUT IP POINT UP TO 54 BRIDGE IS CLOSED
--A NO-WAKE speed limit is in effect from a half-hour after sunset to a half-hour before sunrise at Clinton Lake.
Signs should be posted at the lake for reminders and a Violation will lead to a $75 ticket.
* Joe of Ol´ Joe´s Bait and Tackle on Rt. 54 in DeWitt is Open
from 5am - 5pm 7 days a week for ALL your fishing needs and full line license service.
- We can highly recommend you stop by or call Joe at 217-935-6244.
** Also, this is the place to get your FIZARDS .!
- Ol´ Joe´s report from weekend..
" Lake is slightly stained with water temps about 92 degree water at DeWitt bridge
A few Crappie caught in mornings on minnows
Catfish are FAIR-GOOD on most baits and best during mornings or later evenings
WhiteBass are Fair on jig/twisters or minnows and bladebaits, just watch for surface action.
Be Safe & Enjoy.!"
-- Ol´ Joe´s Clinton Lake Catfish tournament next date is Sept. 6th at Weldon ramp from 6pm - 12pm.
* Read a post few weeks ago where an angler had this to Share : "Shout-Out to Ol´ Joe´s Bait shop in Dewitt for the great info and bait. Any questions about the lake,
ask them. They will put you on the fish for sure.! "
Check with Joe for latest update and Ol´ Joe says "Be Safe & Enjoy !" ..
-- OTHER REPORTS:
- Bass were FAIR-GOOD last week on plastics, jigs and suspending crankbaits at month of coves near deep water and along grass or weed edge.
COFFEEN LAKE - Southeast of Hillsboro off Rt 127 or south of Coffeen off Rt 185,
site office 217-537-3351.
-- There is a 25hp motor limit.
- Main lake water temps are in low 90s and near 100 in the hot-water arm with most of lake fairly clear..
- Bass were FAIR on plastics and crankbaits with some catching them on minnows too
- Bluegills are FAIR-SLOW and small
- Catfish are FAIR on dip baits, shrimp and crawlers.
LAKE SPRINGFIELD - At Springfield off I-55 Exit 94 and go the east.
- Bass were FAIR on plastics, jig, swimbaits and mid-size crankbaits.
- Bluegills were SLOW-FAIR and small on waxies.
- Catfish are FAIR-GOOD mostly on cut baits with some on liver.
- WhiteBass were little SLOW
-- Check with Trevor at Big Reds Bait and Tackle for your bait and current reports
at 2193 Stevenson Drive in Springfield 62703 just a mile west from the lake dam.
You can call them at (217) 679-1800
NEWTON LAKE - 16-17 miles southeast of Effingham off Route 33.
-- This Report by the Newton Lake State Fish & Wildlife Area:
- Bass were FAIR on plastics and crankbaits with some on topwater in early mornings.
- Bluegills were FAIR-SLOW and still mostly small fish on wax worms and red worms
- Catfish are FAIR-GOOD on cut bait, crawlers, shrimp and dip baits near dam
- Crappie are SLOW
POWERTON LAKE - One mile south of Pekin off Route 29 along Manito Blacktop.
---- site Office 309-968-7135
-- SUMMER HOURS (May 1st - Sept. 30th): 6am-8pm WINTER HOURS (Oct. 1st - April 30th): 8am - 4pm
** Powerton Lake is CLOSED for Levee Maintenance and Repairs AND will Re-Open on Thursday Aug 21st at 6:00am
* Check with at J & R Riverside Bait & Tackle in Pekin (309) 347-3793 on your way for bait and latest reports
or his full line of tackle and some tips.. Tell them Larry sent you..!
* Oh Yeah, this is a place to get FIZARDS...! And the Rockport Rattler jigs with no lead in them.
Also check out their creek chubs, shiners and maybe some goldfish ..
Bait Shop HOURS: Mon - Sat 6am to 6pm and Sun 6am to 4pm..
SANGCHRIS LAKE - South of Springfield off I-55 Exit 82 and go east on Route 104 about 10 miles, with a 25HP limit.
-- Sangchris Lake site office at 217/498-9208 from 8 a.m.- 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- Bass were FAIR on plastics, jig/plastics or crankbaits along outer weedlines or near timber.
- Bluegills were FAIR but small along weed edges or pockets in west arm on waxies and crickets.
- Catfish were FAIR on cut baits, crawlers and dip bait.
* The West Boat ramp remains Closed as of Aug 19th; construction has resumed with a completion date of summer. AND
Beginning August 25th, the road leading to as well as the parking lot for the West Boat ramp will be closed for approximately 10 days so that the project can be completed.
-- Check with Trevor at Big Reds Bait and Tackle for current reports
at 2193 Stevenson Drive in Springfield on your way to lake..
- LINKS or Other Lake Reports outside Central Illinois. -
- For Chicago area and southern Wisconsin Fishing Reports check out the
Chicago Sun-Times Outdoors section by Dale Bowman
- MARK TWAIN LAKE in Missouri
---Check Out The Fishing Reports from the Good people at South Fork Resort
- NORFORK LAKE in Arkansas
For current reports or to set up a fishing trip (we would recommend),
check STR Outfitters at www.stroutfitters.com
--- View STR Outfitters Facebook page click here
for real time up to date each day or read Tom´s fishing blog here at http://stroutfitters.blogspot.com
If you are thinking of Fishing or Hunting this year
Check the Reports & specials from Tom Reynolds of STR Outfitters
- Read about our Outdoor Writers/Broadcasters Visit at Kentucky Lake
[ HOME ]