- We appreciate those who have been sending us reports - THANKS .!
And we welcome any new reports others wish to share with other anglers and we really enjoy those photos too..
- This cool rainy weather has kept fishing activity down this week and these cold nights overnight temps is cooling down water temps more.
Many fish are starting to set up in their fall patterns and soon will be feeding up for winter.
This past week fishing was better during afternoons and evenings..
- With Fall here, many have put up fishing gear and getting ready for hunting but for us fall means great fishing.
-- Fewer reports and the lake Closures taking place will mean that as we start losing current reports for some lakes,
we will drop them from our reports till next spring..
- The fall colors are making this a prime time to get outside and make some memories.
- Hope You All can Get out and ENJOY the Outdoors along some GOOD FISHING..!
- One other pesky thing happening now is the leaves and stuff on the water that gets on your line..
We learned a good trick several years ago while trolling, it was to keep your rod tip underwater so the stuff does not get on your line..
I tried it over the weekend by casting and putting the rod tip in the water and reeling - Cool - No cotton on line..!
- - Notes Of Interest : -
Oct 18 - 2014 Illinois Fall Trout fishing season opens at 5 a.m. at 50 ponds, lakes and streams throughout the state.
New this fall is catch-and-release fly fishing at a handful of sites that began Oct. 4th.
Visit this IDNR Web Page for full details and site locations..
Anglers 16 and older must have a valid Illinois fishing license
and an inland-trout stamp. There is a daily limit of 5 Trout per angler.
- Be aware that some lakes have been or will be drawn down for the winter..!
One that comes to mind each year is Lake Storey at north edge of Galesburg.
- Three New Laws go into effect Jan. 1, 2015 to help Improve Safety and Education in Illinois´ Waterways
making outdoor recreation safe and enjoyable for everyone.
The three new laws expand boating safety education,
improve safety and awareness of water skiers and tubers
and increase penalties for those who operate watercraft under the influence.
Senate Bill 3434 allows for the seizure of a watercraft used in the commission
of certain offenses related to operating under the influence.
The new rules bring penalties for boating under the influence more in line
with those for operating a motor vehicle while impaired by drugs or alcohol.
Senate Bill 3433 requires all persons born after Jan. 1, 1998 to take
and pass a boating safety course validated by the Illinois Department of Natural Resources
and hold a valid boating safety certificate before they can operate
a motorboat with an engine over 10 horsepower.
Senate Bill 2731, which mandates that the operator of any watercraft that is towing a person,
such as a water skier or tuber, must display a bright orange flag
measuring not less than 12 inches per side. The flag must be displayed from the time
the person to be towed leaves the boat until that person returns to the boat
at the conclusion of the activity.
During fishing & boating season in 2014, there had been 16 reported boating fatalities on Illinois waterways.
Increased boating safety education and responsible boating practices may have prevented
many of these fatalities.
- Construction to begin at Stratton Lock and Dam on the Fox River in McHenry County.
The $16.7 million improvement project will install new dam gates and extend lock to reduce wait times for boat traffic.
Lock construction will take place during the non-boating season, November 1 thru April 30.
Boaters should be alert to the construction exclusion zones near the lock and dam and
of the limited fishing access that will remain outside the construction fencing.
The project is expected to be completed by November 2016.
More Details and Aerial
* One big thing to remember is no matter how fishing may be for us anglers,
those Bait Shop owners have worked hard to keep the best fresh baits for us all to catch fish.
Please make sure to stop by and support those local (family run) bait shops for your bait, supplies and for current reports and/or tips.
This will help to assure they make enough to stay in business and will be there for all us anglers when we need bait.
AND another prime example of what I am saying was highlighted when
Duane & Becky of The Depot Bait and Tackle Store in Victoria
CLOSED their Bait Shop due to lack of fishing traffic and/or business.
This closing is Sad and we all will miss them..!
** NOTE -- With waterfowl hunting seasons coming in mid-Oct., there are many lakes that will Close or Partially Close to fishing.
* You should contact the lake or site directly for Closure updates and/or winter hours before going.
--Check below in reports for the Closure dates that have been provided to us,
that also include other special hunt date closures, etc..
-- Other Lakes not mentioned in reports below that will have Closures are:
- Rice Lake is CLOSED to boat fishing as of Oct. 1st and will Re-Open at end of Duck & Goose season..
- Check our sponsors on the right for your baits, tackle, guide options and more.
Visit their website links on the right.. -----------------> >
-- Dale Bowman reported in the Chicago Sun-Times :
Snagging for chinook and coho salmon only is permitted
from some Lake Michigan shoreline areas from October 1 through December 31; however there are some limitations
* Read his full story on REGS....
- ILLINOIS RIVER
- - Near STARVED ROCK and South downstream :
- Sauger were reported as FAIR and even better at times on crankbaits along flats or near Senachwine
- WhiteBass were SLOW-FAIR and should improve soon on bladebaits, jigs and spinners
- LOCAL PONDS & STRIP MINE LAKES -
- Bass were FAIR along weed edges and timber on plastics, crankbaits and some on topwater.
- Bluegills were FAIR on waxies along weed edge..
- Crappie were somewhat FAIR and improving on minnows over brush and some on jigs too...
- Tim says he and his boys -
love to fish and read our fishing reports.
* THANKS Tim for kind words and
for this Great photo and
look forward to more..!
- NORFORK LAKE in Arkansas
For current reports or to set up an Awesome fishing trip (we highly recommend),
check Tom Reynolds of STR Outfitters at www.stroutfitters.com
- Here is latest Report from Tom :
" Norfork Lake is 1 1/2 foot below normal fall pool. The water temperature ranges from the mid to low 60s and is dropping.
The water visibility is stained. The lake depth is rising and the water temperature is cooling down. We should see a major change this week in striper activity.
Stripers are now schooling all over the lake. You can find them along the bluff walls and flats in water ranging from 45 to 100 feet. The stripers are holding in 38 to 55 feet with some deeper fish at 60 foot.
The big schools are in the 40 to 50 foot range. Spoons and shad are working the best. In the mid lake area looks for stripers on Robinson Point, and in Float Creek, Panther Bay, and Fall Creek areas.
I fished the lower end of the lake at the Hudson Point area near Hand Cove and Jordan and found big schools of stripers. The bite lasted for over an hour. Once they appear you must get on them because when they move off the area they are hard to find.
The best bite is still in morning; I took Bruce & David out and ended up with a mixed bag. We fished Robinson Point and we started having bites right away. The bites were stripers and catfish.
Both stripers and catfish are schooling on Robinson. We hooked, caught, and missed fish all morning long. We had a great time talking about our past pheasant hunting trips while we kept missing the fish.
Now is an excellent time to get on the water. The stripers, bass, and other species will be very active for the next several weeks. Lake Norfork this time of year is beautiful.
The trees will be turning colors starting this week and should hit its peak in the next ten to fourteen days.
Deer and duck season is approaching and there is lots of opportunity to harvest both species on CORPS land surrounding the lake.
As an example; my cousin came down last fall with a friend who had never been here. We setup a pheasant hunt at Ozark Wings the first morning, then deer hunted in the afternoon and striper fished the next morning.
In less than 48 hours we hunted pheasant, shot a deer, and caught stripers. Not many places offer that type of experience. Come out and enjoy Lake Norfork and all that it has to offer.
** Reading these reports may be hard to know the time & work involved to get & keep bait to be able to catch these awesome fish,
but We can verify the time and how much work it is for a live bait fishing guide as we spent 2 days with Tom from start to finish of day to understand "A day as a Guide" and all the time and work involved.
Read our full STORY HERE
ANDERSON LAKE - Site Office 309-759-4484
- - THIS AREA IS CLOSED TO BOAT FISHING in Main Lake as of Oct. 4th
with bank fishing Only allowed.
ARGYLE LAKE - In Argyle State Park SW of Macomb off US 136 309-776-3422
-- This is one of the sites that are stocked for the Fall Trout Fishing Season
BANNER MARSH - 3 access points on Routes 24/9 3 mi. NE of Banner, with a 25HP limit. (309-647-9184)
** THIS AREA IS CLOSED TO BOAT FISHING as of Oct. 15th
AND, BANK FISHING ONLY ALLOWED AFTER 1PM but NO FISHING ALLOWED in EAST POINT ACCESS AREA,
which is CLOSED TO ALL FISHING to provide a GOOSE REFUGE AREA during season till Feb. 1st - -
DAWSON LAKE - East of Bloomington Exit #149 on I-74, North through LeRoy 4-miles on CH21 then East at Moraine View State Park sign.
- Bass were FAIR on plastics, crankbaits and spinnerbaits along breaks and ends on timber
- Crappie were somewhat FAIR but small on minnows and some on jigs over brush with some fih caught in 6 foot water near dam.
- Catfish remain just FAIR on dip baits and cut baits with some reported last week on shrimp.
DOUBLE T STATE FISH and WILDLIFE AREA (3 miles northwest of Canton)
* * THIS LAKE IS CLOSED TO FISHING for the season --
EMIQUON PRESERVE - Between Havana and Dickson Mounds Museum on IL Route 78
For more info and details on Emiquon, go to http://experienceemiquon.com
- No Reports from here...
* New permits are required for boating and fishing each year - are free and
available at Dickson Mounds Museum, 10956 N Dickson Mounds Rd, Lewistown, IL from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Call The Nature Conservancy at (309) 547-2730.
- -Some of the site rules are: - No live bait except worms; - No bank fishing is allowed;
- No gas motors (not even on the boat) including ice augers.
- Minors must be accompanied by an adult 18 years of age or older and authorized by the minor´s parent or legal guardian.
- Boating and fishing are permitted between sunrise and sunset with additional restrictions applying
during waterfowl hunting season when fishing is allowed only between Noon and sunset.
** During the Central zone waterfowl season, Fishing is ONLY Allowed in Afternoons on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.
- * NO boating, fishing or ice skating access before 12:00 pm during waterfowl hunting season & be aware that hunting might occur on the Preserve other times as well.
- - Check their site for updated rules or go to Official Site RULES file.
EVERGREEN LAKE - North of Bloomington to Exit #8 on I-39, and West just over 1-mile and turn left (south) at sign.
* This Lake has BOATING FEES and Evergreen Lake remains a 10 hp (or less) lake.
- Bass were FAIR-SLOW on plastics or crankbaits around ends of laydown timber and off points.
- Crappie were SLOW-FAIR and scattered with some on minnows over brush
- Saugeye were SLOW with some small fish on jigs/minnow
* The Bait Shop is CLOSED for the season..
- - A SOUTHERN PART OF EVERGREEN LAKE - AROUND DEER ISLAND and ALL OF SIX-MILE CREEK BAY IS CLOSED TO GAS MOTORS from Oct. 15th through JAN. 1st
to allow for resting areas for migratory waterfowl. YOU ARE ALLOWED TO STILL RUN A TROLLING MOTOR IN THESE AREAS ONLY.-
- - Also, the ENTIRE lake and park, with the exception of the campground, is CLOSED to general use Nov. 21-23rd and Dec. 4-7th for the Deer Management Program.
HEIDECKE LAKE -
-- Lake Hours are daily until sunset; launch opens at 6am, shore-fishing at 6:30am.
* * Lake is CLOSED for the season as of Oct. 8th--
LAKE BLOOMINGTON - North of Bloomington to Exit #8 on I-39, and East for 3 1/2-miles.
---This Lake does have a BOATING FEE and a 40hp limit and permit required.
- Bass were FAIR along remaining weeds or timber along bluffs and at coves on plastics and crankbaits
- Bluegills were FAIR but small on waxies near docks
- Crappie were FAIR-SLOW on jigs/minnows over and around brush.
- Hybrids are FAIR-SLOW in mid-lake on crankbaits or jig/big twisters (watch for surface feeding).
- UPDATE -* Mike´s Minnow Bucket has moved his CLOSING date for the season up till weather turns Bad..!
Until then, check them out 2.7 miles west of I-39 from El Paso on US 24
with fall Hours opening at 3:00pm Mon - Thur and All Day Fri, Sat & Sun.
LAKE SHELBYVILLE - Between Shelbyville and Sullivan -
LAKE INFO LINE (217) 774-2020 and LAKE PROJECT OFFICE (217) 774-3951.
- Here is report from Guide Steve Welch for Oct 13th - 20th: "
The rain never stopped last week and this brought the surface temps down
to 64 and scattered the crappie. Now I can catch a dozen small fish to
every good one on main lake brush and the same in coves. So getting our
three person limit was tough last week. We need the sun to shine so
light can penetrate for better visibility for the crappie.
The best news I have is that some good fish are showing up on the north
end right up on the bank. We are throwing a slip bobber with a
lively big minnow under it or a 3/32oz. Deep Ledge Jig and tube. We are
also getting some huge white bass doing this as they have moved very
shallow as well. This bite has been better in the afternoon so we are
still going south and working main lake piles and some coves then
working our way back for the afternoon bite to find some big fish.
The main lake brush we are using is down trees and brush in 12-20 foot.
Then it is the coves we are using around brush in about 8-10 feet.
We need the water temps to go below 60 and then the crappie will start
to move into the ten-foot brush up on the north end and remain there
until December. We can then vertical jig for them and get right over
them. This is some of the best fishing of the year and I still have
plenty of those openings left for that very good November bite. Just go
to my website at www.LakeShelbyvilleGuide.Com and check for availability
on front page.
I am going to be guiding down on Kentucky Lake starting October 20th so
there will be no fishing report from Shelbyville until November 10th.
McMASTER LAKE at - SNAKEDEN HOLLOW - - NW of Peoria, just 1 1/2 miles East of Victoria South off IL Route 167,
there is a 10HP limit. 309-879-2607
** THIS AREA IS CLOSED TO FISHING for the Season as of Oct. 15th --
And reopens to fishing after central zone goose season ends, typically on February 1st each year.
** The Depot Bait and Tackle Store in Victoria has CLOSED
due to lack of fishing traffic and/or business.
THIS IS SAD as Duane & Becky of The Depot Bait and Tackle Store in Victoria
was our best resource for reports & info.! And is why we say we all need to support our local family run bait shops..
REND LAKE -
- Check with Todd Gessner Outdoors Guide Service on Rend Lake at 618-513-0520 for future fishing trips
and make sure to look into a stay at the new Gun Creek Fin, Fur & Feathers Sportsmens Club and they have a bait shop too..
* Gun Creek Bait & Tackle where You can get your jar or bucket of Hoss´s Hawg Bait...!
And to get your bottle or two of The Original Vanilla Bug Spray to repel those biting gnats, flies and mosquitoes..
- - Here is this week's Fishing Report from US Army Corps -
Please fish safely! Always wear your life jacket on the water!
- The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers at Rend Lake has partnered with
the Rend Lake Lunker Busters
and Mt. Vernon Winnelson Company,
to provide collection stations for recycling monofilament fishing line
at various locations around Lake.
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers encourages all visitors to pitch in
to make Rend Lake a safer and more beautiful place to recreate.
For more info feel free to contact the Rend Lake Project Office at
11981 Rend City Road, Benton, IL 62812
or by phone at 618-724-2493.
SHABBONA LAKE -
- - This Lake has a 10-horsepower limit.
- - - Park hours April thru October 6:00 AM – 10:00 PM
- Bass were FAIR-GOOD last Friday on floating Rapala over the weed beds in the NE Bay
with top three of 20, 21 & 22 inches.
- Crappie were FAIR-SLOW around cribs on minnows
- Hybrids were FAIR-SLOW
- Muskie were SLOW but in no-motor zone on stickbaits.
SPRING LAKE (South & North) - Just south of Pekin off Manito Blacktop, 5 miles northwest of Manito,
and there is a 25HP limit. (309-968-7135)
**THIS AREA WILL BE CLOSED TO BOAT FISHING in Hunting Area ON OCT. 18th with Last Day to Boat Fish being Oct. 17th -- with BANK FISHING ALLOWED ONLY AFTER 1pm--
-AREAS THAT REMAIN OPEN TO BOATS ARE NORTH OF MAPLE ISLAND with ramp at north end at the Sky Ranch Road launch and IN PIKE HOLE with carry in boats --
- - - - SOME ILLINOIS POWER PLANT LAKES - - - -
BRAIDWOOD LAKE -
** Lake is CLOSED for the season --
CLINTON LAKE - Three miles east of Clinton off Route 10 or 54 Ph 217/935-8722.
A PORTION OF LAKE FROM ABOUT IP POINT UP TO 54 BRIDGE IS CLOSED
--A NO-WAKE speed limit is in effect from a half-hour after sunset to a half-hour before sunrise at Clinton Lake.
Signs should be posted at the lake for reminders and a Violation will lead to a $75 ticket.
* Joe of Ol´ Joe´s Bait and Tackle on Rt. 54 in DeWitt is Open
from 5am - 5pm 7 days a week for ALL your fishing needs and full line license service.
- We can highly recommend you stop by or call Joe at 217-935-6244.
** Also, this is the place to get your FIZARDS .!
- Ol´ Joe´s report for weekend.. "
The Crappie bite is definetely ON at Clinton
with lots of undersize fish being caught which is a good sign for future years
as well as nice limits of crappie in the 10 inch plus range.
Lots of White bass action as well, and
of course our catfish cannot be left out either, as lots of good size cats being caught using meaty baits.
With winter approaching our hours will remain the same thru Thanksgiving.
At that time we will only be open MORNING hours until March 1...
Be Safe & Enjoy.!"
-- Ol´ Joe´s is also carrying Crossbows and Tree Stands as well as some bow supplies.. Check them out..!
REMEMBER an easterly area of Clinton Lake between the DeWitt (CH14) and the 48 bridges is CLOSED FROM OCT. 10th through MARCH 31st to protect fish and wildlife...
* Read a post few weeks ago where an angler had this to Share : "Shout-Out to Ol´ Joe´s Bait shop in Dewitt for the great info and bait. Any questions about the lake,
ask them. They will put you on the fish for sure.! "
Check with Joe for latest update and Ol´ Joe says "Be Safe & Enjoy !" ..
COFFEEN LAKE - Southeast of Hillsboro off Rt 127 or south of Coffeen off Rt 185,
site office 217-537-3351.
-- There is a 25hp motor limit.
- Bass were FAIR-GOOD on plastics, spinners and crankbaits.
- Bluegills were FAIR small jigs with some on small minnows too
- Catfish were FAIR-GOOD on dip baits, shrimp and shad
- Crappie were FAIR at times on minnows.
* During the Central Zone waterfowl season: No fishing north of the railroad tracks (upper pool) until after 1pm daily.
AND - The Entire site/ Lake will be CLOSED to all activities during the first and second deer firearms seasons.
No fishing is allowed Nov. 21-23rd and Dec. 4-7th.
LAKE SPRINGFIELD - At Springfield off I-55 Exit 94 and go the east.
- Bass were FAIR on plastics, jigs or crankbaits along shore or around docks.
- Crappie are FAIR on minnows and/or jigs
- Catfish were FAIR on cut baits
- WhiteBass were FAIR-SLOW on jigs/twister, in-line spinners or bladebaits, watch for surface feeding...
-- Check with Trevor at Big Reds Bait and Tackle for your bait and current reports
at 2193 Stevenson Drive in Springfield 62703 just a mile west from the lake dam.
You can call them at (217) 679-1800
LaSALLE LAKE -
* * Dale Bowman reported in the Chicago Sun-Times : The Last day to Fish here is Oct. 15th - Lake will CLOSE for the season --
NEWTON LAKE - 16-17 miles southeast of Effingham off Route 33.
As written in the fishing regs booklet :** The cold arm of Newton Lake shall be Closed daily
from one-half hour before sunrise until 1:00 pm to all fishing and boat traffic except for legal waterfowl hunters
during waterfowl season commencing with regular duck season through the close of the Canada goose and regular duck season.
Also, the Entire Lake is CLOSED to fishing during the two regular gun deer seasons, Nov. 21-23rd and Dec. 4-7th.
POWERTON LAKE - One mile south of Pekin off Route 29 along Manito Blacktop.
---- site Office 309-968-7135
-- WINTER HOURS (Oct. 1st - April 30th): 8am - 4pm
- - THIS LAKE WILL CLOSE TO BOAT FISHING ON OCT. 18th (Last day for Boat fishing is Oct. 17th)
and LAKE CLOSES TO SHORE FISHING and/or ALL FISHING ON OCT. 25th (Last day for Shore fishing is Oct. 24th)
and REOPENS TO SHORE FISHING ONLY ON DEC. 24th AND NO BOAT FISHING till FEB. 15th - -
SANGCHRIS LAKE - South of Springfield off I-55 Exit 82 - go east on Route 104 about 10 miles.
-- Lake has a 25HP limit, Lake site office # 217/498-9208 from 8 a.m.- 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- Bass were FAIR on plastics and crankbaits.
- Catfish were FAIR near areas with rock on most baits
- Crappie were FAIR on minnows with some on jigs near spillway area or end of lake
-- Check with Trevor at Big Reds Bait and Tackle for current reports
at 2193 Stevenson Drive in Springfield on your way to lake..
* * THE WEST and EAST ARMS OF LAKE and Small AREA NEAR DAM ARE CLOSED DURING WATERFOWL SEASON to boat traffic
effective Oct. 15th (last day to boat fish will be Oct. 14th) through Jan. 31, 2014
(during this time fishing boat traffic is permitted in the center hot arm only).
And the Entire Lake will be CLOSED Nov. 21-23rd and Dec. 4-7th due to firearm deer hunting on adjacent properties.
The exception will be for hunting programs with restricted usage during this time period.
For more info, contact site office at 217/498-9208 from 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- LINKS or Other Lake Reports outside Central Illinois. -
- For Chicago area and southern Wisconsin Fishing Reports check out the
Chicago Sun-Times Outdoors section by Dale Bowman
- MARK TWAIN LAKE in Missouri
---Check Out The Fishing Reports from the Good people at South Fork Resort
- NORFORK LAKE in Arkansas
For current reports or to set up a fishing trip (we would recommend),
check STR Outfitters at www.stroutfitters.com
--- View STR Outfitters Facebook page click here
for real time up to date each day or read Tom´s fishing blog here at http://stroutfitters.blogspot.com
If you are thinking of Fishing or Hunting this year
Check the Reports & specials from Tom Reynolds of STR Outfitters
- Read about our Outdoor Writers/Broadcasters Visit at Kentucky Lake
[ HOME ]