- Something you must consider is that fishing reports were about things and conditions that have already happened.
It is not always a forecast or a look into the future but a good starting point when heading out.
No matter what reports state, you as an angler must still find the right cover & the fish.
Try to find these kinds of cover in lakes:
- Brush piles or cribs that can be found with a sonar unit or by scouting a lake by starting in 6-14 foot and move out.
- Fallen trees along the shore.
- Boat docks that provide cover and shade in summer months.
Mark or remember any spots you catch fish and Stay mobile, move around to increase your odds of finding and catching fish.
-- Well, it is storming as I post this report with more crazy weather conditions through weekend
with up and down temps for next 7 days..
- These cold fronts have seemed to affect the fishing some
and many fish are deep along outside weedlines..
- If you are out during any remaining hot days, Protect yourself from the sun and the heat, drink plenty of liquids.
- Be Safe & Get out to ENJOY some GOOD FISHING..!
** CHANGE/CORRECTION: - BULLFROG season has been extended through Oct. 15th
- And for those pesky Gnats and all biting insects = do as we do and not leave home or go out without a bottle or two of The Original Vanilla Bug Spray to repel those biting gnats, flies and mosquitoes..
Don´t subject yourself or your pet to unnecessary pest attacks!
To get your bottle now, visit www.vanillabugspray.com for locations or to order..
Get out and ENJOY..!
- - Notes Of Interest : -
- BULLFROG season has been extended through Oct. 15th
Bullfrogs may be taken by hand, fishing pole and line fishing, landing net, bow & arrow or bow and spear or gig.
A sport fishing license is required to harvest bullfrogs. Limits are
8 bullfrogs daily limit with 16 bullfrogs possession limit
- For list of ADA accessible Fishing sites
Check IDNR Places To Fish page for locations.
- For Bank Fishing Opportunities in Illinois that are easily accessible,
visit IDNR Bank Fishing page
NOTE: As of January 1st, No person born on or after January 1, 1998,
unless exempted by subsection (i),
shall operate a motorboat with over 10 horse power unless that person has a valid
Boating Safety Certificate issued by
the Dept of Natural Resources or an entity or organization recognized & approved by the Dept.
Non-motorized watercraft, including canoes, kayaks, paddle boats, or sail boards in Illinois,
are no longer required to be titled/registered in Illinois, unless the vessels have a motor or sail.
Non-motorized watercraft owners are required to purchase an Illinois Water Usage Stamp for each calendar year..
* The 2016 Illinois Fishing Information guide is available online
at IDNR website
* We have listed a few in our area that we have found in the reports below, but you still need to check and read the signs posted at lakes to be sure..
- The U.S. Coast Guard has released a Free boating safety app designed to provide additional resources for mobile users.
Watch USCG app features video with download info & more
- Check our sponsors on the right for your baits, tackle, guide options and more.
Visit their website links on the right.. ----------------------------------------------> >
Looking for a Boat, Trolling motor or Fishing Gear & more..
Check our FOR SALE - Classified ADS page.
- ILLINOIS RIVER
- - Near STARVED ROCK and South downstream: to Near HENRY :
- The River crested on Monday morning at LaSalle about 6 inches below flood stage
and will crest downstream at Peoria Thursday and later this week in Beardstown..
- LOCAL PONDS & STRIP MINE LAKES -
- Bass were FAIR (but are Slower after the cold fronts) on plastics, jigs, drop-shot and spinnerbaits along outer weed edges with some on topwater
- Bluegills are FAIR-GOOD on waxies or part crawler around outer weed edge and in weed pockets
- Catfish were FAIR-GOOD recently on dip baits, crawlers and liver.
- NORFORK LAKE in Arkansas
For current reports or to set up an Awesome fishing trip (we highly recommend),
check Tom Reynolds of STR Outfitters at www.stroutfitters.com
- Here is latest Report from Tom:
The Norfork Lake stripers continue their awesome late summer bite. Look for them on points near the dam in 35 to 40 foot of water before daylight.
The rains this week helped the oxygen in the lower end of the lake lower and lowered the water temperature from 90 degrees to the low 80s .
Look for stripers in Shoal Creek the front and back of Koso Point, Thumb Point, Dam Cove, Point One and then east towards Hand Cove.
A evening bite has begun also. That bite usually starts around 6 pm up to dark off the lake points.
As the sun sets the stripers will move onto the point flats and begin their evening feed. The best live bait this past week for stripers has been gizzard shad.
With the lower water temperature and higher water levels the crappies should begin to start their fall bite.
Right now they will be in the deep brush piles in the 30 feet range.
Walleye are being caught on points and flats using bottom bouncers and spoons in 28 to 35 foot of water.
Saturday was predicted to have heavy rains so my clients canceled but Sean´s group were ready and willing to go.
It turned out the rains only lasted the first 45 minutes of the trip and then it turned out to be a great morning.
Dan, Jonie, & Brian have fished Norfork Lake using spoons but wanted to try live bait.
The bite was slow the first 30 minutes but then it started.
Being first timers using live bait it is common that it takes a few misses to figure out how to hook the stripers.
Jonie missed a couple but then she was on fire.
She hooked and landed her biggest striper at 24 lbs before the sun was up.
Brian started catching them, then Dan did and before they knew it they had their limit
and were back at the dock by 7:30 AM.
The bite is unbelievable and should continue this until after Labor Day.
The fall bite will be starting soon as the water starts to cool down so make your plans on the web with www.FishNorfork.com for everything Norfork Lake!
Be sure to read our Fall Striper tactics, the article can be found on the NorforkLakeChamber.com website.
- Tom Reynolds has fished Lake Norfork for over 35 years and guides out of Tracy Ferry Marina;
you can reach him at www.stroutfitters.com or 870-421-1541 or on Facebook
AND - Be sure to check out Tom´s Summer Striper Tactics article!
** Reading these Norfork reports it is hard to know the time and work involved to get & keep bait to be able to catch these awesome fish,
but We can verify the time and how much work it is for a live bait fishing guide as we spent 2 days with Tom from start to finish of day to understand "A day as a Guide" and all the time and work involved.
Read our full STORY HERE
BANNER MARSH - 3 access points on Routes 24/9 3 mi. NE of Banner, with a 25HP limit. (309-647-9184)
* 2016 New Written Regs to clarify - Large or Smallmouth Bass . . . Protected Slot Length Limit with one
fish greater than or equal to 18 inches and/or 2 fish less than 12 inches . . 3 Fish Daily Harvest Limit
- Bass were somewhat FAIR on plastics, jigs and crankbaits
- Catfish remain FAIR-GOOD on cut bait, liver and dip baits
DAWSON LAKE - East of Bloomington Exit #149 on I-74, North through LeRoy 4-miles on CH21 then East at Moraine View State Park sign.
-- This is a " No Wake " Lake for those with motors over 10hp.
* 2016 New Regs = Walleye, Sauger or Hybrid Walleye (Saugeye) of
15 inch Minimum Length Limit with no more than 1 Fish greater than or equal to 20 inches; 3 Fish Daily Harvest Limit
-- Lake is up some from rains..
- Bass were FAIR with some better fish recently on plastics, jigs or spinnerbaits around deep structure or weedlines in morning & evenings..
- Bluegills were FAIR-GOOD on wax worms and part crawler along weed edges or around weed patches
- Catfish were FAIR-GOOD on dip bait & crawlers along deeper breaks off flats
- Crappie were SLOW
- Walleye/Saugeye were FAIR-SLOW off deep points or breaks
DOUBLE T STATE FISH and WILDLIFE AREA (3 miles northwest of Canton)
-- This is a " No Wake " Lake
- Jacks tells us: " Fished Double T Monday, a Slow day mainly fished soft plastics, frogs, cranks and jerk baits;
Landed 3 bass, two were 15 inches also lost two and missed the hook set on a couple of others.
Water temps had dropped about 8 degrees from last week.
Lots of small bass sometimes followed my baits back to the boat.? "
EMIQUON PRESERVE - Between Havana and Dickson Mounds Museum on IL Route 78
For more info and details on Emiquon, go to http://experienceemiquon.com
- No New Reports from here..
* New permits are required for boating and fishing each year - are free and
available at Dickson Mounds Museum, 10956 N Dickson Mounds Rd, Lewistown, IL from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Call The Nature Conservancy at (309) 547-2730.
- -Some of the site rules are: - No live bait except worms; - No bank fishing is allowed;
- No gas motors (not even on the boat) including ice augers.
- Minors must be accompanied by an adult 18 years of age or older and authorized by the minor´s parent or legal guardian.
- Boating and fishing are permitted between sunrise and sunset with additional restrictions applying:
No boating, fishing or ice skating access before 12:00 pm during waterfowl hunting season. Lake users should be aware that hunting might occur on the Preserve other times as well.
- - Check their site for updated rules or go to Official Site RULES file.
EVERGREEN LAKE - North of Bloomington to Exit #8 on I-39, and West just over 1-mile and turn left (south) at sign.
* This Lake has BOATING FEES and Evergreen Lake remains a 10 hp (or less) lake.
* 2016 New Bass Limit Regs = 3 Fish Daily Harvest Limit of 15 inch Minimum Length Limit..
-- BAIT SHOP & BOAT RENTAL Hours: Daily 6:00 am to 6:00 pm
-- COMLARA PARK VISITOR CENTER (309)434-6770.
- Bass were FAIR mostly on plastics, swimjigs and spinnerbaits off flats or points with timber and/or weeds
- Bluegills were FAIR with many smaller fish on wax worms, red worms and part crawler around shore cover and weed pockets.
- Catfish were FAIR-GOOD on most baits
- Crappie were SLOW-FAIR and suspended mostly on minnows over brush and along deeper outer weed edges
HENNEPIN-HOPPER LAKES - 2 miles South of Hennepin off IL Route 26, turn West on Road 810N and then next right.)
-- The Wetlands Initiative says the 2016 fishing season
at the Dixon Waterfowl Refuge (Hennepin-Hopper) will Close Sept 5 with last day of fishing Sept. 4th.
Mondays are CLOSED to Fishing Except for Memorial Day, July 4, and Labor Day..
There are (will be) several new rules & Regs for 2016 season you need to
- No New Report for here..
LAKE BLOOMINGTON - North of Bloomington to Exit #8 on I-39, and East for 3 1/2-miles.
---This Lake does have a BOATING FEE and a 40hp limit and permit required.
* 2016 New Bass Limit Regs = 3 Fish Daily Harvest Limit of 15 inch Minimum Length Limit..
** The 3 Fish Daily Harvest Limit did not make the Regs Booklet, but signs at Lake will display New Limits.
- Bass were FAIR on plastics, spinnerbaits and jigs around timber or weed edges and off points
- Bluegills were FAIR-GOOD fish on waxies and part crawler around weed edges, docks and seawalls
- Catfish were FAIR-GOOD on dip baits, crawlers and liver in evenings.
- Crappie were SLOW-FAIR on minnows drifted over brush as fish are suspended with some caught by trolling
* AND Good News For bait: * Mike´s Minnow Bucket Bait Shop
2.7 miles west of I-39 in El Paso, IL on US 24
is OPEN for the season..!
LAKE EUREKA - This Lake is only 30 acres,
and is a good place for the family and kids, a lake where the whole shore line can be fished, there is a boat ramp
and ONLY trolling motor use is allowed and if boat has a Motor on it, you must have a City Motor Permit
but still May Not start it for any reason.! (Remember - No Minnows fishing Allowed)
- Bass were FAIR-SLOW with mostly small fish
- Bluegills are FAIR
- Catfish are FAIR on dip baits, liver and crawlers in evenings
* For bait, Check * Mike´s Minnow Bucket Bait Shop
2.7 miles west of I-39 in El Paso, IL on US 24 ..!
LAKE SHELBYVILLE - Between Shelbyville and Sullivan -
LAKE INFO LINE (217) 774-2020 and LAKE PROJECT OFFICE (217) 774-3951.
-- Lake level is up and seemed to slow up fishing in spots.
- Catfish were FAIR on most baits around holes and on trot lines
- Crappie remain SLOW with few on minnows fished over deep brush piles
- Walleye/Sauger were SLOW-FAIR and scattered off flats on crawler rigs and jigs with a few on crankbaits.
- WhiteBass were FAIR-SLOW on 2 jig rigs and bladebaits on wind-blown flats
PRAIRIE LAKE in Jim Edgar/ Panther Creek State F&W Area -
-- This is a " No Wake " Lake for motors over 10hp
- No New Reports this week..?
** If you are looking for a Great new place to stay while fishing or hunting at JEPC Park,
We recommend you check Plattner´s Ghost Hollow Lodge only 5 miles from the park, by
calling 217-458-2526 or 217-971-5256 or Click their logo on bottom right Sponsors section of this page
to Find Them on Facebook
Make Sure to Contact Them for Directions ! - Tell them Larry sent you..!
REND LAKE -
-- The lake crested about 5 foot above pool over weekend and is slowly dropping
- Guide Ric Barth with Todd Gessner Outdoors Guide Service
(& Gun Creek Fin, Fur & Feathers Sportsmens Club) tells us Catfish remain FAIRLY GOOD
on Hoss´s Hawg Bait around channel breaks.
(See US Army Corps Report below for more)
- While planning to make a Fishing trip to Rend Lake,
make sure to look into a stay at the new Gun Creek Fin, Fur & Feathers Sportsmens Club
- - Here is latest Fishing Report from US Army Corps who says:
- - "Please fish safely! Always buckle up your life jacket on the water! " And:
- Please use these
collection stations for recycling monofilament fishing line
provided at various locations around Lake.
For more info feel free to contact the Rend Lake Project Office at
11981 Rend City Road, Benton, IL 62812 or by phone at 618-724-2493.
SHABBONA LAKE -
- - This Lake has a 10-horsepower limit.
-- Water temps are about 79 - 81
- Bass were just FAIR at times with more small fishing this past week on plastics (wacky rigs), jigs, spinnerbaits
along weed edges and along dam.
- Bluegills were FAIR-SLOW along weed edges or in weed pockets
- Catfish were FAIR on liver, dip baits & some on leeches
- Crappie are little SLOW recently
- Walleye were FAIR on jigs with minnows or leeches along breaks and flats with a couple on trolled crankbaits
- Report of couple Muskie caught recently..?
OTHER LAKE and RIVER REPORTS OBTAINED THIS WEEK:
CARLYLE LAKE - Reports from July 16th...
- Few reports of Crappie from weekend
- Catfish were FAIRLY GOOD on cut bait, dip baits or leeches
- - - - SOME ILLINOIS POWER PLANT LAKES - - - -
BALDWIN LAKE - Just north of Baldwin off Route 154. - site Office 618-785-2555
--- There is a 50hp motor limit
-- Hours April 16 - Oct 31: 6:00 AM to 9:00 PM
- Bass were FAIR-SLOW mostly on plastics recently.
- Bluegills were little SLOW on wax worms and crickets.
- Catfish were FAIR on liver and dip baits out along deeper water breaks
- Crappie were SLOW
CLINTON LAKE - Three miles east of Clinton off Route 10 or 54 Ph 217/935-8722.
A PORTION OF LAKE FROM ABOUT IP POINT UP TO 54 BRIDGE IS CLOSED
- Bass were FAIR on plastics and spinnerbaits.
- Bluegills were FAIR on wax worm and red worms and part crawlers along deeper weed edges
or pockets near cover
- Catfish are GOOD on cut shad, dip baits & shrimp with some reportd around gravel pits
- Crappie were SLOW-FAIR on minnows around/over deeper cover
- Walleye were FAIR-SLOW on leeches and couple trolling
- WhiteBass are FAIR on jig/twisters, bladebaits and in-line spinners best in west part of lake
-- A few Stripers at the spillway
- Check with Joe of Ol´ Joe´s Bait and Tackle for latest reports
and ALL your fishing needs (Including Fishing Licenses)- now Open 7 days a week 5 - 5.
* Ol´ Joe says the Bait Shop is FOR SALE as well as the Building next door,
just give him a call at 217-935-6244 if interested..!
As of Aug. 19th - The dock at West Side boat access was still Closed pending repairs.
-- Contact Matt of Clinton Lake Catfish Guide Service to book trips
through September with night or day trips available on Weekends. Call 217-855-8406
* Tell him Larry told you to call..
* A Great place to stay while at Clinton Lake is the Holiday Inn Express hotel,
the newest hotel in Le Roy, IL
Just off I-74 between Bloomington and Champaign,
only 17 minutes from Clinton Lake. Make your reservations today (309) 962-4439
COFFEEN LAKE - Southeast of Hillsboro off Rt 127 or south of Coffeen off Rt 185,
site office 217-537-3351.
-- There is a 25hp motor limit.
* 2016 New Regs = Large or Smallmouth Bass.. 15 inch Minimum Length Limit.. 3 Fish Daily Harvest Limit
- - Water temps were mid-upper 80s last Fri.
- No word on Bass this past week.
- Bluegills were FAIR-GOOD on wax worms & part crawler
- Catfish are FAIR-GOOD mostly on dip baits.
- Crappie remain SLOW
LAKE SPRINGFIELD - At Springfield off I-55 Exit 94 and go the east.
- Bass remain somewhat FAIR on plastics, jigs and crankbaits
- Bluegills were FAIR-SLOW on wax worm and part crawler
- Catfish were GOOD on cut baits, shrimp and dip baits
There was a report of about 70 pound Blue caught late last week after dark..?
- Crappie were SLOW-FAIR recently on jig/minnow
- WhiteBass were FAIR on KRAZY BLADES from Big Reds Bait and Tackle in Springfield.
-- Check with Trevor at Big Reds Bait and Tackle for your bait and current reports
at 2193 Stevenson Drive in Springfield 62703 just a mile west from the lake dam.
You can call them at (217) 679-1800
** While there, Check out his New baits and the KRAZY BLADES
- One of the best White Bass, Walleye and Crappie Lures made ..! BigRedsBait.com
LaSALLE LAKE -
And Daily Hours reportedly will be 6 a.m. - sunset
** All fishermen must be off the lake by closing time each day. Hours may be adjusted due to staffing issues,
so visitors should call ahead 815-357-1608 to confirm operating hours.
Visitors should adhere to all rules, regulations and direction from staff.
There is a wind warning system at LaSalle Lake, located on the tip of the internal dike
that extends from the west shore.
When the light of the wind warning system is flashing, no boats are to be launched
and boats on the lake should find calm water and get off the lake when safe to do so.
- A few reports again this past week of Catfish FAIR on most baits with some Blues too..
NEWTON LAKE - 16-17 miles southeast of Effingham off Route 33.
-- This Report from Aug. 19
- Bass were FAIR on plastics, jigs & spinners and still best around dawn and dusk.
- Catfish were FAIR-GOOD on dip baits and crawlers
POWERTON LAKE - One mile south of Pekin off Route 29 along Manito Blacktop.
---- site Office 309-968-7135
SUMMER HOURS through Sept. 30th: 6am-8pm
SANGCHRIS LAKE - South of Springfield off I-55 Exit 82 - go east on Route 104 about 10 miles.
-- Lake has a 25HP limit, Lake site office # 217/498-9208 from 8 a.m.- 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.
-- Check with Trevor at Big Red´s Bait and Tackle for current reports
at 2193 Stevenson Drive in Springfield on your way to lake..
-- Not much new reported from this past weekend
- Bass were FAIR-SLOW this past week on plastic and jigs around deeper timber cover or weeds
- Bluegills were FAIR on waxies and part crawler
- Catfish were FAIR on most baits
- Crappie are FAIR-SLOW on minnows over deep cover
- LINKS or Other Lake Reports outside Central Illinois. -
- For Chicago area and southern to central Wisconsin Fishing Reports check out the
Chicago Sun-Times Outdoors section by Dale Bowman
- MARK TWAIN LAKE in Missouri
---Check Out The Fishing Reports from the Good people at South Fork Resort
- NORFORK LAKE in Arkansas
For current reports or to set up a fishing trip (we would recommend),
check STR Outfitters at www.stroutfitters.com
--- View STR Outfitters Facebook page click here
for real time up to date each day or read Tom´s fishing blog here at http://stroutfitters.blogspot.com
If you are thinking of Fishing or Hunting this year
Check the Reports & specials from Tom Reynolds of STR Outfitters
- Read about our Outdoor Writers/Broadcasters Visit at
[ HOME ]