- Something you must consider is that fishing reports were about things and conditions that have already happened.
It is not always a forecast or a look into the future but a good starting point when heading out.
No matter what reports state, you as an angler must still find the right cover & the fish.
Try to find these kinds of cover in lakes:
- Brush piles or cribs that can be found with a sonar unit or by scouting a lake by starting in 6-14 foot and move out.
- Fallen trees along the shore.
- Boat docks that provide cover and shade in summer months.
Mark or remember any spots you catch fish and Stay mobile, move around to increase your odds of finding and catching fish.
-- The pleasant weather last week into start of weekend made it nice to be out and had started to cool down some lakes and ponds.
However, this Hot weather for past few days has limited anglers out fishing and thus only a few reports recently.
- Therefore, most reports below are from the past weekend..
- Also, we have listed even some lakes or sites that we may not have reports for
but to provide a more full list of lakes or sites for your Labor Day weekend planning..
- With the forecast for continued Hot weather through weekend :
-Be Sure To Protect yourself from the sun and the heat, drink plenty of liquids..
If the long range forecast is correct, we can expect a real cool down later next week..?
- Hope You All can Get out and ENJOY the Outdoors along with some GOOD FISHING..!
- The Mosquitos were still biting ..
If you find those pesky Gnats are out = do as we do and not leave home or go out without a bottle or two of The Original Vanilla Bug Spray to repel those biting gnats, flies and mosquitoes..
To get your bottle, visit www.vanillabugspray.com for locations or to order..
Hey, try their new Cedar Wood Mist too...
- - Notes Of Interest : -
- The IDNR Division of Fisheries has NEW regulations Now in effect for 2015
on the harvest of Flathead Catfish due to concerns about the overharvest of this large fish species.
Read the Press Release and Full Details HERE
* The New 2015-2016 Illinois Fishing Information guide is available in PDF format
on the IDNR website where
you can read or print you a copy.
- Check our sponsors on the right for your baits, tackle, guide options and more.
Visit their website links on the right.. ----------------------------------------------> >
- ILLINOIS RIVER
- - Near STARVED ROCK and South downstream: to about HENNEPIN :
-- With lack of rain recently, the river levels are down some and less current at times.
- Catfish are FAIR-GOOD on cut baits (Asian Carp working well) and on some dip baits
- Sauger were FAIR over weekend trolling
- WhiteBass are FAIR on spinners, jig/twister and bladebaits near mouth of rivers and creeks
- - Near PEORIA:
- We found Bass to be FAIR Sunday morning on spinners fished around areas of rock or other vertical structures near marinas.
- LOCAL PONDS & STRIP MINE LAKES -
- Bass were FAIR in mornings and evenings on finesse rigged plastics, other weedless rigs, spinners and some early on topwater baits.
- Bluegills were FAIR around weed edges, pockets and deeper ends of timber.
- Catfish are FAIR-GOOD on Hoss´s Hawg Bait dip baits and some on shrimp or crawlers
- Jack says he and fishing partner found Bass VERY SLOW at Lake Storey on last Friday afternoon..
- NORFORK LAKE in Arkansas
For current reports or to set up an Awesome fishing trip (we highly recommend),
check Tom Reynolds of STR Outfitters at www.stroutfitters.com
- Here is latest Report from Tom :
My week started getting up for the early morning catching of bait, but by weeks end I found some gizzards
and now I get to sleep another 2 1/2 hours each morning. The bite continues in the early morning before light
and until the sun gets high. I continue to catch stripers in the deep water but now the fish have move closer to the dam
and deeper. Today I caught fish in 27 and 92 foot of water. The deep water fish are very lethargic and will not move much for the bait.
I am using a 3 oz weight and dropping it to the bottom and cranking my reel up only two turns. The long 6 foot leader with a lively shad swimming right on the bottom
provokes a very soft bite. If the rod moves an inch I have my clients start reeling the line, that usually hooks the fish.
I took a long time client Paul, out with his dad (Ralph) and dad´s best friend (Mike) for a morning striper trip.
We always have a fun time and usually catch some nice fish. The last trip was Memorial Day weekend and we caught a limit of 9 with the big fish was 22 lbs.
This time we started before light in the shallow water off Thumb Point. We caught a couple of fish but nothing like we had been catching.
That day was the first sign the stripers were starting to move closer to the dam. We moved out to the deep water, that day it was 87 feet and managed to catch 6 nice stripers.
Mike and Paul caught their limits but Ralph just kept watching his pole. For some reason he could not get a bite. Ralph became the butt of all our jokes that day, it was a lot of fun.
For you out of area folks, you might want to get your calendars out and start making plans now.
The fall is fast approaching and it’s a wonderful time to be on the lake.
The stripers will begin their fall feed and the fall colors are beautiful.
A good tool to use to make your plans with is on the web at www.FishNorfork.com for everything Norfork Lake!
- Tom Reynolds has fished Lake Norfork for over 35 years and guides out of Tracy Ferry Marina;
you can reach him at www.stroutfitters.com or 870-421-1541 or on Facebook.
** Reading these Norfork reports it is hard to know the time and work involved to get & keep bait to be able to catch these awesome fish,
but We can verify the time and how much work it is for a live bait fishing guide as we spent 2 days with Tom from start to finish of day to understand "A day as a Guide" and all the time and work involved.
Read our full STORY HERE
ANDERSON LAKE - Site Office 309-759-4484
-- No Reports for here.
ARGYLE LAKE - In Argyle State Park SW of Macomb off US 136 309-776-3422
-- This is one of the sites that are stocked for Fall Trout Fishing Season next month
- No Word how fishing is lately here.
BANNER MARSH - 3 access points on Routes 24/9 3 mi. NE of Banner, with a 25HP limit. (309-647-9184)
-- Just a few reports from here.?
- Bass were FAIR-SLOW on plastics, weedless baits, frogs and spinnerbaits.
- Bluegills were FAIR but small along weed edge and some near docks
- Catfish were FAIR on dip baits, cut baits and few on shrimp
DAWSON LAKE - East of Bloomington Exit #149 on I-74, North through LeRoy 4-miles on CH21 then East at Moraine View State Park sign.
* NEW limit Reg for Large or Smallmouth Bass . . 3 Fish Daily Creel Limit . . Protected Length Limit; 2 Fish less than 15 inch
and 1 Fish 15 inch or larger. Also Bluegill or Redear Sunfish . . Protected Length Limit; 20 Fish (either singly or in aggregate)
Daily Creel Limit, of which only 5 fish can be 8 inch or larger
- Bass were FAIR-SLOW on plastics, weedless baits such as frogs and some on buzzbaits.
- Catfish were FAIR-GOOD on dip baits and crawlers near deep hole in evenings
- Crappie were FAIR-SLOW but small on jigs and minnows around brush or deep ends of timber and some trolling.
- Max tells us he went out Monday night
and caught some Crappie trolling
along with this 25 inch 5.5 lbs Walleye..
DOUBLE T STATE FISH and WILDLIFE AREA (3 miles northwest of Canton)
- From State Route 78 in Canton, turn West on Vine Street (County Hwy. 21)
go 3 miles turn right following County Hwy. 21 for 1-mile to cross-road (Cypress Rd.) and turn left (west), Lake is approx. 3/4 mile on right.
-- No Reports from here,
EMIQUON PRESERVE - Between Havana and Dickson Mounds Museum on IL Route 78
For more info and details on Emiquon, go to http://experienceemiquon.com
- Jack tells us he heard Bass were FAIR on plastic frog baits,
and Crappie were SLOW
* New permits are required for boating and fishing each year - are free and
available at Dickson Mounds Museum, 10956 N Dickson Mounds Rd, Lewistown, IL from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Call The Nature Conservancy at (309) 547-2730.
EVERGREEN LAKE - North of Bloomington to Exit #8 on I-39, and West just over 1-mile and turn left (south) at sign.
* This Lake has BOATING FEES and Evergreen Lake remains a 10 hp (or less) lake.
* * The NEW limit Reg for Saugeye is 18 inch Minimum Length Limit and 3 Fish Daily Creel Limit
Bait Shop hours through Sept 7th: 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. seven days/week
Starting Tuesday, Sept 8, 2015, Bait Shop Fall Hours will be: 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. 7 Days
Boat Rental hours through Sept 7th: 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. seven days/week
Starting Tuesday, Sept 8, 2015, Boat Rental Fall Hours will be: 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Friday, Saturday & Sunday
- Bass were FAIR-SLOW on plastics, crankbaits and spinners off points and around timber or submerged stumps and a few early on topwater
- Bluegills were FAIR around ends of laydowns on jigs and/or wax worms
- Catfish were FAIR on cut baits with few on crawlers in late evenings or early morning.
- Crappie were FAIR-SLOW on jigs and minnows around brush.
- WhiteBass were SLOW-FAIR on jigs/twisters or small spinners at mouth of coves..
HEIDECKE LAKE -
- - Lake Open daily until sunset; launch opens at 6am, shore-fishing at 6:30am.
- Only a couple reports saying: - Fishing is little Slow for most fish.?
HENNEPIN-HOPPER LAKES - 2 miles South of Hennepin off IL Route 26, turn West on Road 810N and then next right.)
- Hennepin and Hopper lakes have Re-Opened with
Fishing allowed through Sept 27th only on Tuesdays through Sundays - CLOSED on Mondays..
The Wetlands Initiative, the Owners, say the lakes will be open to the public at no charge and no longer will fishing club memberships be sold but permits will be issued.
There are several new rules & Regs you need to
- Couple New Rules hightlights are in part:
1. Fishing is open to the general public at no charge --.
Permit applications available at kiosk by the boat launch --.
8. NO gas-powered motors are allowed on the lakes.
9. Fishing will be allowed from boats only. NO shore fishing is allowed.
10. NO live bait is allowed except for red worms, wax worms, and night crawlers.
11. The 2015 fishing season extends from Sept 1 through Sept 27 only. -- MONDAYS ARE CLOSED TO FISHING.
12. Fishing is allowed from sunrise to 30 minutes after sunset.
15. The parking lot -- is limited to a max 40 vehicle & boat trailer units on a first-come, first-served basis.
When -- full no more boats will be allowed onto the lakes for fishing.
-The restoration program should begin this area back to some tremendous fishing for Bass, Bluegill, Crappie and Pike.
- Let us know how you find the fishing there for these 1st days of Re-open to fishing.
* * Reports from Tuesday is Bass were FAIR-GOOD and Pike were somewhat FAIR..
LAKE BLOOMINGTON - North of Bloomington to Exit #8 on I-39, and East for 3 1/2-miles.
---This Lake does have a BOATING FEE and a 40hp limit and permit required.
* NEW limit Reg for 2015 is White, Black or Hybrid Crappie . . 15 Fish Daily Creel Limit
- Bass were FAIR-SLOW on plastics, spinnerbaits and swimbaits around timber along bluff or along outer weed edges
- Bluegills are FAIR on wax worms and nibbles around sea walls and weed edges
- Catfish were FAIR on dip baits, cut baits and liver in late evenings near breaks into coves.
- Crappie were SLOW-FAIR around ends of deep docks or suspended around deep brush
LAKE EUREKA - This Lake is only 30 acres,
and is a good place for the family and kids, a lake where the whole shore line can be fished, there is a boat ramp
and ONLY trolling motor use is allowed and if boat has a Motor on it, you must have a City Motor Permit
but still May Not start it for any reason.! (Remember - No Minnows fishing Allowed)
- Bass were a little SLOW the past couple days
- Bluegills were FAIR but small on waxies and part crawler out from weed edge.
- Catfish were FAIR in late evenings over weekend on dip baits and shrimp
LAKE SHELBYVILLE - Between Shelbyville and Sullivan -
LAKE INFO LINE (217) 774-2020 and LAKE PROJECT OFFICE (217) 774-3951.
- Here is report from Guide Steve Welch on Aug 31st : "
- The lake is very near summer pool and will be by weeks end ( finally ).
This past weeks overnight temps have brought down the surface temps to
about 73-77. The lake is gin clear from one end to the other.
With lake levels near summer pool I have been fishing brush for crappie
on main lake and in coves. The bait has made a big push back into coves
and the crappie and white bass have followed. I am mixing it up for the
crappie simply because with the current on the lake the fish are moving
so a good spot one day might not mean anything the next. We fish about
20-30 brush piles a day and just keep moving. Some spots we are only
fishing about seven-feet down while others we are fifteen-feet deep over
much deeper water. I just go over the brush and look and see what depth
is the top of the brush then set up the slip bobbers and drift them over it.
I have but one opening left before I leave for Kentucky Lake and that is
September 7th. So if anyone wants to get in on some pretty good crappie
fishing give me a call. 217-762-7257.
For the white bass anglers are fishing half way back in coves on clay
banks where bait is present. Plus the river has them in the flooded smart weeds.
McMASTER LAKE at - SNAKEDEN HOLLOW - - NW of Peoria, just 1 1/2 miles East of Victoria South off IL Route 167,
and there is a 10HP limit. 309-879-2607
- - Not much reported from here..?
- Bass on McMasters were FAIR-SLOW mostly on plastics, swimbaits and spinners along weeds or timber.
- Also in walk-in lakes, Bass are FAIR-SLOW on plastics, other weedless baits and some topwater early in day
AND the Bluegills have been FAIR but small along outer wee edge and weed pockets
- No other reports
REND LAKE -
- Catfish remain Fairly GOOD on dip baits ( Hoss´s Hawg Bait ) fished off flats or near channel bends
- Check with Todd Gessner Outdoors Guide Service on Rend Lake at 618-513-0520 for future fishing trips
and make sure to look into a stay at the new Gun Creek Fin, Fur & Feathers Sportsmens Club
- - Read the latest Fishing Report from US Army Corps who says
"Please fish safely! Always buckle up your life jacket on the water! " And
- Please use these
collection stations for recycling monofilament fishing line
provided at various locations around Lake.
For more info feel free to contact the Rend Lake Project Office at
11981 Rend City Road, Benton, IL 62812 or by phone at 618-724-2493.
SHABBONA LAKE -
- - This Lake has a 10-horsepower limit.
- - - Park hours April thru October 6:00 AM – 10:00 PM
-- Water temps were reported in mid 70s last Friday
- Bass were FAIR-SLOW and should improve on plastic and weedless baits along or in weeds
and couple nice fish on topwater baits early or late
- Bluegills were FAIR with lots of small ones near weed edges.
- Catfish are FAIR on dip baits, liver and crawlers in evenings.
- Crappie were FAIR-GOOD late last week into weekend but mostly small on minnows around and over cribs.
- Muskie were somewhat FAIR with couple nice fish caught over weekend on bucktail spinners
- Hybrids were FAIR-SLOW watch for them busting the surface.
SPRING LAKE (South & North) - Just south of Pekin off Manito Blacktop, 5 miles northwest of Manito,
and there is a 25HP limit. (309-968-7135)
-- Not much reported for here..?
- Bluegills are FAIR but small on waxies, red worms and part crawler.
- Catfish were FAIR on dip baits, shrimp and crawlers over weekend in late evenings
WILDLIFE PRAIRIE PARK LAKES-
Call (309) 676-0998 for details, including rules and regulations.
- RULES and/or REGS For Fishing: (While park is Open for season)
-- Anglers will enter and exit the park like all other visitors. A general admission fee is charged at the main gate
or yearly membership privileges are applicable.
-- Fishing in all these lakes will be from shore, belly boats, or portable boats.
No boat ramps or road access will be available for trailer launching. ONLY electric motors are allowed.
-- Statewide sport fishing regulations will be in effect and enforced.
Valid Illinois fishing license is required for those age 16 years and older.
East Side at Park:
Daily 9:00 AM - 3:30 PM
- Lakes open to the public are Deep Lake, Caboose Lake, Beaver Lake, and Horseshoe Lake.
West Side lake:
Daily Sunrise - Sunset
- Lake open to the public is Taylor Lake, located on the west side of WPSP property
- - Bass have been somewhat FAIR on plastics, spinners and some topwater
- Bluegills are FAIR at times
OTHER REQUESTED LAKE and RIVER REPORTS THIS WEEK:
CARLYLE LAKE -
- Bluegills were FAIR-GOOD on waxies, meal worms and part crawler with several being caught in the spillway area too
- Catfish were GOOD in lake on cut bait, dip baits, crawlers and leeches along rocks and also GOOD in the spillway area
- Crappie were FAIR on minnows and jigs with some in the spillway area too
- WhiteBass are said to be FAIR in lake on inline spinners or spoons, best early or late
and FAIR-GOOD in the spillway area also on jig and twisters or minnows
- Also read a blog saying Sauger were being caught little downstream from spillway..?
- - - - SOME ILLINOIS POWER PLANT LAKES - - - -
BALDWIN LAKE - Just north of Baldwin off Route 154. - site Office 618-785-2555
--- There is a 50hp motor limit
- Bass were FAIR-SLOW at times on crankbaits off deep points or deep breaks with cover.
- Bluegills were FAIR-SLOW on waxie or part crawler fished deep near intake part of lake.
- Catfish were FAIR-GOOD on shad, shrimp and some on dip baits
BRAIDWOOD LAKE -
* NEW limit Reg effective April, 1 2015 on Bass
for a Daily Creel Limit of three 15 inches Minimum Length Limit.
- - Hours are 6 am - sunset, seven days a week.
- Only report is that Catfish were FAIR-GOOD on dip baits and cut baits with mention of seeing dead shad floating
CLINTON LAKE - Three miles east of Clinton off Route 10 or 54 Ph 217/935-8722.
A PORTION OF LAKE FROM ABOUT IP POINT UP TO 54 BRIDGE IS CLOSED
- Bass were FAIR-SLOW around downed trees and off points on plastics, spinners, swimbaits and some on frog baits early and late in day.
- Catfish are GOOD on most baits along shore line areas late evenings into after dark.
- Crappie were FAIR with many 6 - 8 1/2 inch fish around Dewitt bridge over weekend and few from deep timber too on minnows and/or a chartreuse tube jigs.
- Bluegills are reported as FAIR along weed edges, in coves or around docks on waxies and red worms.
- White bass are FAIR-GOOD on spinners and jig/twisters.
* Charley tells us he found Crayfish available at Ol´ Joe´s Bait and Tackle over weekend at $5/doz.
- - Ol´ Joe´s Bait and Tackle is open at 5am with all your favorite baits and jigs, as well as a full license service
and carries full lineup of BrushPile Jigs.. Check them out and get the latest fishing reports.
- And Ol´ Joe says the Bait Shop is FOR SALE..!
COFFEEN LAKE - Southeast of Hillsboro off Rt 127 or south of Coffeen off Rt 185,
site office 217-537-3351.
-- There is a 25hp motor limit.
- - Water temps in the main lake were 86 - 88 and somewhat clear.
- Bass were just FAIR at times on plastics and crankbaits and best early and late or on cloudy days.
- Catfish were GOOD on dip baits, cut bait, shrimp, with some on crawlers
- Crappie remain SLOW
LAKE of EGYPT - About 8 miles south of Marion east of Route 37.
- Read a blog over weekend saying :
- Bass are FAIR on plastics, spinners and some on topwater too.
- Crappie were little SLOW ..
LAKE SPRINGFIELD - At Springfield off I-55 Exit 94 and go the east.
- Bass were FAIR on plastics, chatterbaits, spinnerbaits and few on topwater early in day
- Catfish remain FAIR-GOOD on most baits but more on cut baits in evenings
- Crappie were SLOW-FAIR and small fish on minnows that are scattered at varying depths
-- Check with Trevor at Big Reds Bait and Tackle for your bait and current reports
at 2193 Stevenson Drive in Springfield 62703 just a mile west from the lake dam.
You can call them at (217) 679-1800
LaSALLE LAKE -
Lake is open with Daily Hours of 6 a.m. - sunset 7-days a week.
** All fishermen must be off the lake by closing time each day. Hours may be adjusted due to staffing issues,
so visitors should call ahead to (815) 795-2448 to confirm operating hours.
* Visitors are also reminded that LaSalle Lake is a perched lake
and can become turbulent during windy or inclement weather.
When the light of the wind warning system is flashing,
no boats are to be launched and boats on the lake should seek shelter.
- Wear your Life Jackets at all times on the water -
* Reminder of the new wind velocity rule of 12 mph will cause the ramps to be CLOSED.
With the windy days we have - it would be a good idea to
Call ahead at (815) 357-1608 to enquire on openings.
-- Shore anglers had been catching Channel cats and Blue Cats along with few other fish over weekend.?
NEWTON LAKE - 16-17 miles southeast of Effingham off Route 33.
-- Very little reported again this past week.?
- Bass were FAIR-SLOW over weekend before this heat on plastics and spinnerbaits fished around structure in deeper water
- Other fishing was somewhat SLOW
POWERTON LAKE - One mile south of Pekin off Route 29 along Manito Blacktop.
---- site Office 309-968-7135
- - SUMMER HOURS (Through Sept. 30th): 6am-8pm
- Mitch shared this photo of the 52 pound Blue Cat
his dad, Mark, caught last Sat. on cut shad (head)
He says "We go there quite often and the Lake is good to us.!"
He also had this to share about condition on lake Saturday:
Water temps at discharge were 83.5 degrees. Quite cool for August.
Lots of small shad 1/2 to 2 inches working.
We caught 15 Blues ranging from 2 pound, 10 & 21 up to the 52 pounder.
What looked to be 3 different year class Blues and all very healthy.
However, the Channel Cats we caught were extremely skinny.?
SANGCHRIS LAKE - South of Springfield off I-55 Exit 82 - go east on Route 104 about 10 miles.
-- Lake has a 25HP limit, Lake site office # 217/498-9208 from 8 a.m.- 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- Crappie were FAIR-SLOW and mostly on minnows at varying depths
* NEW STATE RECORD FLATHEAD *
- Friday evening Aug. 28, 2015, James Klauzer
went fishing for Flatheads at Sangchris Lake
and real early Saturday morning
he caught this 81.45 pound Flathead.
Thanks to Trevor at Big Reds Bait & Tackle for
sharing this and a BIG THANKS to
IDNR chief Dan Stephenson who
witnessed the weigh-in on a certified scale
to make this a New Illinois Record.
And the other Good news is this huge fish
was still alive and was released back
into Sangchris to maybe be caught again.?
The past record was held by Jody Harris on
Aug. 11, 1995, who caught a 78 pound Flathead
below Carlyle Lake while fishing for white bass.
-- Check with Trevor at Big Red´s Bait and Tackle for current reports
at 2193 Stevenson Drive in Springfield on your way to lake..
- LINKS or Other Lake Reports outside Central Illinois. -
- For Chicago area and southern Wisconsin Fishing Reports check out the
Chicago Sun-Times Outdoors section by Dale Bowman
- MARK TWAIN LAKE in Missouri
---Check Out The Fishing Reports from the Good people at South Fork Resort
- NORFORK LAKE in Arkansas
For current reports or to set up a fishing trip (we would recommend),
check STR Outfitters at www.stroutfitters.com
--- View STR Outfitters Facebook page click here
for real time up to date each day or read Tom´s fishing blog here at http://stroutfitters.blogspot.com
If you are thinking of Fishing or Hunting this year
Check the Reports & specials from Tom Reynolds of STR Outfitters
- Read about our Outdoor Writers/Broadcasters Visit at
[ HOME ]